Beyond the Gates of Antares, die Kickstarter-Kampagne zum Hard Science Fiction Tabletop der Firma Dark Space Corp. Sie streben das hohe Ziel von 300.000 £ an, was sicherlich keine Kleinigkeit darstellt, doch alleine das Namedropping der Projektteiber wird viele Spieleenthusiasten anziehen:
- Rick Priestley (Warhammer Fantasy Battles, Warhammer 40,000, Warmaster & Warmaster, Ancients, Hail Caesar, Black Powder, Bolt Action, Necromunda, The Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game, Space Marine (EPIC), Warhammer Ancient Battles, Judge Dredd Role Playing Game, Warhammer Fantasy Role-Playing Game)
- Kevin White, Bob Naismith (Game Workshop’s Space Marine!) und Tim Prow
Hier gilt offensichtlich das Motto: Klotzen statt Kleckern! Die Designer streben nach eigenem Bekunden danach, die Community nicht nur als Geldgeber, sondern auch als Mitentwickler einzubinden.
„Ever wanted to help design and create a new science fiction wargame universe with Rick Priestley? Well now you can.
Beyond the Gates of Antares is a brand new science fiction wargame universe from Rick Priestley: the creator of the Warhammer 40,000 game universe and YOU!
We’re creating an entirely original setting for a new and original game – a new idea for new times. GoA is a game that takes science fiction wargaming forward, with a fresh and unsettling vision of a future where mankind has spread amongst the stars… and changed. Changed into a species so much more than human… and so much less!
Unlike other Kickstarter miniature projects that have done most of the work before hand, we’re here so that we can see if you are interested in not only backing us to fund the project but also if you’re interested in helping us develop the game rules, artwork, miniature range, tactical abilities, scenery, vehicles and everything else. We already know much of the initial design (well, it’s mostly in Rick’s head at the moment..) and we want to work with a unique set of enthusiasts with the vision to fund it and help us make it the best wargame experience that exists.
Beyond the Gates of Antares (GoA) invites us to a time when mankind has evolved into new and diverse species: the strangely powerful NuHumans, masters of the Panhuman Concord; the ape-like Pansimians, the greatest warriors in the whole Galactic Spill; and feral Revers primitive Humans driven by a irrepressible lust for adventure and danger. It is a universe where technology and humanity intermix indistinguishably, where human knowledge and endeavour has long since been supplanted by integrated machine intelligence IMTel. Where humans go their technology goes also, protectors, workers, and fighting machines in the form of WarDrones armed with deadly weapons and shielded by energy fields a thousand times more resilient than steel.
GoA is a wargame designed anew for the twenty-first century – a fresh look at the raw mechanics of tabletop wargaming featuring a fluid combat status system and interleaved turn sequence that facilitates continuous play for both sides. Rival forces act and react in a series of triggered actions that quickly draw both sides into simultaneous fire fights and close quarter fighting. The mechanics are designed to enable rapid progress using forces of around fifty or so models a side, including futuristic fighting machines, vehicles and point-defence weaponry as well as human troopers – the game is infinitely scalable to facilitate battles as large as can possibly be imagined and is detailed enough to facilitate skirmish gameplay too.
- Fluid Combat Status – units act and react according to their combat status.
- Real-time Dynamic Gaming Universe – build and benefit from the evolution of the game background as you play.
- Backer Development Program – backers can participate in the development and creation of the game rules, universe and campaigns.
- Decimal Mechanics – based on D10 and D100’s allowing the same stats to be used for battle games, skirmishes and role-playing games as we expand the scope of our game for years to come.“
– Beyond the Gates of Antares project description
Da könnte etwas wirklich Spannendes entstehen. Ein Rollenspiel in diesem Setting scheint in den kommenden Jahren durchaus möglich …
Kann es sein, dass (High) Fantasy im Mainstream bald durch Science Fiction abgelöst wird? Es gibt so viele Anzeichen „in der Insideder-Szene“.
Freigabe durch den Hersteller (Dark Space Corp.) via Email am 01.01.2013 (angefragt)
- Beyond the Gates of Antares von Rick Priestley via Kickstarter
- Twilight Continuum Space Opera Campaign for Savage Worlds via Kickstarter
- Kingdom: A Pen & Paper Space Exploration RPG via Kickstarter
- Elite Encounters: Roleplaying In The Elite Universe via Kickstarter
- Necropunk Pathfinder Campaign Setting via Kickstarter